Sunday, March 17, 2013

Pop - Ch.8


***Before you read: This story is slightly more mature than the other chapters I have posted. 
 


                I lay in bed with my eyes open. I had been like this for a while. The bed wasn’t my own, it belonged to someone else. I couldn’t remember how I got here, or why. I do remember some of the contents from last night and earlier this morning. I also knew that something was different.

                I reflected on that “something” because the something was me. I had changed. Not for anyone. Not by anyone… it had been my own doing. The feeling is so surreal, but no, not in a bad way. This was just the beginning of my life.

                Oh Maxine, what did you get yourself into?




                I know exactly what they’re thinking. Any day now, Max. Just pick. Their faces were gripping on my every move – not that I really moved much in the last minute. But I just couldn’t. I couldn’t pick. How horrible was I?

                “I,”good start Max, but you need to spit the rest out. Niv and Alekk are still staring. In fact, they look a little confused. “I?” Where’s that supposed to go? Come on. Just another word. Get an actual sentence going this time.

                “I uh,” closer…..

                “I mean,” okay Max, now you just sound ridiculous. At least save the poor guys the torture. One, two, three… go!

                “This is going to sound really selfish – and I really wish I wasn’t. I don’t really know how else to say this, but I need the both of you.”

                Finally their faces didn’t represent eagles eying their prey. Niv’s brows furrowed in confusion. And I have to admit, Alekk was pretty confused too.




                “So… you want the both of us?” asked Alekk. His blanket of charisma just moments earlier had completely vanished.

                “Yes.”

                Niv pretended to be really interested in something. I think it was the floor. Then he looked back to me with his sapphire eyes.

                “Okay.” Alekk nodded in agreement to Niv’s reply. I looked at them apologetically.

                “Well. I think I’m going to get some sleep now.” I headed up to my bedroom. No word from them.




                Maybe I could change my mind. I stood there in my bedroom for a moment. There had to be some way that would make me choose one or the other. But I couldn’t. I could easily choose many reasons for liking both Niv and Alekk, could easily choose something each had that each also lacked. But I couldn’t really imagine say, going through tomorrow completely cut off from them.

                They should have never been nice to me. That was the problem. I couldn’t reverse time, however. I would have never guessed for this to happen.

                I could only imagine how they felt, though. I bonded them – two best friends – in a team that they initially didn’t sign to be a part of. What they hoped for tonight was for some sort of remediation, and it was like I had thrown their plan in their face. They wanted peace and I was selfish. They wanted water and I gave them fire. We all knew that this, the three of us, it wasn’t right. But I so wanted it to be.

                How do you get something impossible to work?

                Exhaustion caught me by surprise as I sank into the ocean of sheets on my bed.




                I woke up the next morning to Niv standing in my bedroom wearing only swim trunks. I was confused. How did he let himself in? I must have forgotten to lock the door. And how did I get so lucky to have this sight standing before me?

                “What the -,” I started.

                “Shh,” he whispered, “get dressed. You know where to meet me.”

                And within the next second he was gone. I took pride in the fact that I knew exactly where to meet him. The beach. We hadn’t been there together in so long, it seemed. It would feel good to have some sort of normalcy as far as being in the Alekk Weston vacation house went.

                I looked out the window from my room. The view was wonderful. The serenity of it all caused me to stop and think of how lucky I was. I didn’t know how long this was all going to last, but it seemed like every second I was counting my blessings. I knew Wes and I were going to make it. I had gained new friends. Friends whom I had grown to love. And really, what more could I possibly ask for? Love, family, and togetherness. That’s all I needed.

                I got dressed in my suit and ran outside to go meet Niv down by the beach. That dark hair, and those blue eyes. A perfect way to start off my birthday.




                I got down to the beach, where Niv was waiting. He stood there, patiently waiting for me, just like he always had. He was always patient, calm, and understanding. I think that’s why I liked him so much. He was the vacation to Alekk’s craziness.

                “I thought you were sick,” I teased. Niv looked at me and gave me one of his heart-throbbing smiles.

                “I’m not anymore,” he laughed, “C’mon, let’s swim!”

                And just like that, he jumped into the waves as though nothing had happened this past weekend. As if it was just us again. So light-hearted. So carefree. Let yourself go, Maxine, I thought. Enjoy the moment for what it is. I ran towards the water.

                The ocean was so delightful. It had never been this calm before. Niv and I took this moment in time in its entirety. We both kind of knew that this could possibly be the last time we would have something like this. The simplicity.

                Right now it was us, but we both understood that soon everything would be him, Alekk, and me. It would be cameras with nowhere to hide. It would be our faces on screens all over the world. Everyone would scramble to get to know every bit of our lives. No privacy. This indeed would be the last time that Niv and I were going to be unknown.




                “Why did you take me to the beach?” I asked Niv as we relaxed on the lawn an hour later. Niv looked up at me.

                “I just wanted some time with you before things get crazy.”

                “I know,” I replied, “I guess I didn’t notice it either, but things are changing.”

                Niv looked back up at me like he was about to say something. Then paused a little.

                “Max, you’re sure that you like me as much as Alekk, right? I mean, a lot happened this weekend. You don’t like him more than me, do you?” Niv’s eyes looked so blue, so innocent. I couldn’t believe such a wonderful person could like me as much as he did. And I couldn’t believe he said what he did.

                “Niv, of course I like you. I mean, I know everything’s gotten so hectic lately, but I honestly don’t know what I’d do if you weren’t here.” I brushed his dark ebony hair out of his eyes, his warm skin sending little jolts up my fingertips.

                “Good,” he sighed, intertwining my hand with his before giving it a gentle kiss.




                We stayed there for a while, letting our skin soak up the skin as usual, always after going to the beach. But after that moment we realized that our being alone, at least in this matter, had to slowly come to an end. It was already mid-afternoon, and we still hadn’t gotten ready for my birthday party. So Niv, never letting go of my hand, gave me a look that I understood as meaning that we did have to go, and leave the ocean for some time. I nodded, and we headed back to the house, where Alekk was most likely waiting.

                “It’s about time,” smirked Alekk, but in a gentler tone than he would normally use. He knew that Niv and I needed our space, at least for this morning. He seemed more at peace than he would usually be. It was a nice aspect to see.

                “Yea, I realized I should probably get ready for this crazy birthday you guys have been bragging about,” I smiled.

                “Speaking of which,” Alekk added, “I happened to take a look at your wardrobe. Not that I know a whole lot about lady fashion, but I’m pretty sure your flowery dresses are not up to par. At least not for tonight. So um, I got you a little surprise.”

                My eyes widened. What surprise? I ran up the stairs to my room.




                And there in my room stood two ladies, one I guessed to be a stylist and the other a make-up artist. My jaw just about dropped. I’ve never had this before. So this is what celebrities were used to. I was practically in heaven. I squealed. Then turned to Alekk and Niv, who were both now in the room as well.

                “Thank you!!” I cried. Niv looked at Alekk and laughed jokingly in unbelief. Alekk gave me a warm smile.

                “See you in a couple of hours, sunshine,” winked Alekk before heading downstairs. Niv walked up to me. My whole world was spinning. Hours? Would it really take that long?




“I can’t believe this.”

                “Classic Alekk,” Niv replied, grabbing my hands, instantly making me blush in front of the ladies still standing in my room. Then he kissed me, and I about died. He was perfect. His lips were warm – I could have just stood there and let him kiss me all day. But he pulled away.

                “You have to get ready,” he laughed slightly, “you’re so beautiful already, though.”

                And then he went downstairs. I hadn’t noticed how red my face was until I heard “aww” simultaneously from the ladies behind me.




                It had been hours of constant dress tugging, hair pulling, eyebrow plucking and nail filing. But we were finally done. Eight in the evening and I was ready, almost. I still hadn’t seen myself yet. The ladies, Rebecca and Wendy, told me from the beginning they wouldn’t let me see myself until I was absolutely done. A “surprise” they had said. Well I was ready for this surprise to be unveiled. Enough surprises I’m sure were to come my way during this birthday party already.

                Rebecca and Wendy led me over to a mirror, blindfolded and all. One of them was fixing my dress to perfection, when the other untied the blindfold from the back of my head. I still had my eyes closed.

                “Go ahead and look,” instructed Wendy, the stylist. My eyelids flew open to see someone I hardly recognized. It was myself, I was sure. But I had never looked like this before. I had never worn a dress like this in my entire life. My hair was done in these perfect curls that cascaded perfectly with the dress. And my eyes. I really looked like a celebrity. I looked famous. I finally recognized myself when my goofy smile came into view. Then I looked back at Rebecca and Wendy.

                “Thank you guys so much,” I sighed, my eyes welling up with premature tears. Rebecca started dabbing them immediately.

                “Oh no, don’t mess up your eyes now sweetie,” she said calmly before stepping back, admiring her work, “now go have some fun.”

                “And we’d help you out anytime,” smiled Wendy. I didn’t know what else to say. I was so thankful. I just smiled back and tried to exit my room without twisting an ankle.




                Just downstairs were Alekk and Niv, dressed up in a way that could have convinced anyone that was how they dressed all the time. Their faces, though. That I couldn’t get out of my mind forever.

                Niv looked up at me with his big blue eyes, his face perfectly still except for his eyebrows, which were skewed up a little. Alekk had the look of complete shock. My heart sped up a little when he took a slight step forward. Alekk was almost always composed, almost always tried to play it “cool.” Not today.          

                I happened to glance out towards the living room. It seemed to instantly change; even though I knew I was gone for a couple of hours. Colored lights were everywhere. People that I didn’t know were scattered all over the place, dancing to music that was louder than what should have been allowed. Amazing smells of food came from the kitchen, the clinking sound of ice to glass told me that Alekk also had a working bar nearby. How did they do all of this?

                And then I thought. Of course – it was Alekk. For a moment I almost forgot that he was the most popular celebrity in the country. Probably in the world.

                I decided to try and forget who Niv and Alekk were, and so when I walked up to where they stood, I wrapped my arms around theirs and had them walk me to my birthday cake.




                A wish, candle smoke, and some dancing later, we had found ourselves at the bar. Apparently Niv and Alekk thought it was funny that I had never had alcohol before as they lightly sipped on their drinks. Niv at first explained how he was against it all, that is until Alekk offered him some red wine. We sat together some minutes later, slightly buzzed and downing out last “birthday cake shots.” Alekk was the one to stand up first.

                “Let’s go dance,” he said with a huge grin. Niv gave a laugh, grabbing my hand as he stood up. I twirled around, mimicking a ballerina before catching myself, slightly dizzy.

                “Yes… let’s,” replied Niv. Before I knew it we three were entering the dance floor, which looked more crowded than it had earlier. It must have been my state of mind. But we certainly were much closer than we had ever been. And those shots were starting to set in.




                The beat was so loud. I was getting lost in the music – everyone was. I accidentally touched Niv’s abs, which were hard and smooth. My first response was to let go, to keep dancing to the music. But I didn’t. Instead I brought myself closer to the towering Niv who in turn cupped my face in his hands so gently as we kissed in front of everybody. It was almost like no one else existed. A cloud was covering us – I was in a daze. I couldn’t wake myself up. But someone would for me.

                A strong arm wrapped around my waist, bringing me full circle, pulling me so close to him. Alekk. My mind was still in its cloud but my heart was beating wildly. I could feel his, too.

                Suddenly he closed the space between us, and I could feel him kissing me with a passion as if this was his only chance - on my lips and now down my neck. My mind jolted awake and was going a million miles an hour. Everybody was watching, but I didn’t seem to care. I kissed him back just as fiercely, with energy I never knew I had. Alekk would press us so close I was sure we were going to melt.

                Camera flashes were starting to go off, and I realized that Niv’s hand was reaching for mine. Immediately I was aware of what was going on. Paparazzi. They caught not only Alekk, but me with Alekk. It couldn’t be like this. I turned and kissed Niv with as much force as I had kissed Alekk, both of their arms wrapped around my waist.

                One thing was for certain. We had to get out of here. Now.




                The next morning I woke up on the lawn, overlooking the ocean. My first hangover was starting to kick in, I could tell by the way my eyes strained to open against the sunlight. The cool breeze that I usually welcomed didn’t help, either.

                I looked around, and saw that both Niv and Alekk were now also starting to wake up, on either side of me. From the slight amount of memories I had from last night, and by the way they looked this morning, it was obvious that we didn’t just happen to fall asleep here.

                As I stood up, a huge headache started to set in, and I felt more tired than I had felt laying down on the grass. Alekk noticed how tired I looked and immediately got up from the ground. Niv was still debating whether or not to keep sleeping. The alcohol hadn’t affected him as much as it did to me. I reflected back to his brandy days. That must have been why.

                “Come on,” he lulled as he scooped me up in his arms. He still smelled so good. I nestled my head against his neck and shoulder. The last thing I remembered was falling asleep in his arms as he carried me into the house.




                I lay in bed with my eyes open. I had been like this for a while. The bed wasn’t my own, it belonged to someone else. I couldn’t remember how I got here, or why. I do remember some of the contents from last night and earlier this morning. I also knew that something was different.

                I reflected on that “something” because the something was me. I had changed. Not for anyone. Not by anyone… it had been my own doing. The feeling is so surreal, but no, not in a bad way. This was just the beginning of my life.

                Oh Maxine, what did you get yourself into?

                Suddenly Alekk appeared.




                “Did you get enough sleep?” he asked, concerned. Immediately I jumped to the next question.

                “Whose bed is this?”

                Alekk gave his little smirk, teasing me.

                “It’s mine. Yours was covered by people… and vomit.” Alekk made a disgusted face.

                “Don’t worry, Max. It’s not like I took advantage of you or anything.”

                I got up to follow Alekk before he left the room, and grabbed at his hand. He was facing me now.

                “And what about last night?” I asked.

                “Max,” Alekk laughed, “you took advantage of US.” I gasped in shock. Alekk continued to laugh.

                “Don’t worry though, we still love you and all.” Alekk winked before kissing my forehead lightly. He then went downstairs, leaving me to ponder.


END OF CH.8

No comments:

Post a Comment